About Brian Chapman and Mill City Environmental
Lowell native Brian Chapman, president of Mill City Environmental Corporation (MCE), established his full service environmental services firm in 2001. MCE began as a waste management company specializing in assessment, management and disposal of hazardous wastes and materials. Over the years, the company has expanded to offer a complete range of the highest quality waste management solutions, including asbestos abatement and most recently rail services
Mr. Chapman’s on-going vision for Mill City Environmental is to provide the necessary expertise and services to create a cleaner environment throughout the country and especially within the Lowell/Merrimack Valley community. Chapman was born and raised in Lowell and always envisioned starting his business in his beloved city. After spending 14 years mastering the environmental cleanup industry at Fortune 100 companies Foster Wheeler (now Tetra Tech EC, Inc.) and Clean Harbors, he recognized that he could adapt his talent and specialized skills to make a meaningful impact both from an economic and environmental perspective. He founded Mill City Environmental and named his company in tribute to the great city of Lowell.
During the early stages of MCE’s operation, Chapman was challenged to overcome the stigma associated with being a start-up business. This initial perception hindered his abilities to secure meaningful clients and the necessary capital to fund his operation. To help overcome these barriers, Chapman made a strategic decision to apply to and gain acceptance into the Small Business Administration’s 8(a) Business Development program. This programs mission, to help socially and economically disadvantaged small businesses gain preferential access to federal contracting opportunities, made great strategic sense to Chapman, as it would help to ensure the long-term success of MCE. MCE’s participation in the 8(a) program ultimately led to a number of contracts, including one for $3.2 million. And when MCE needed capital to support growth, an SBA guaranteed loan supplied the necessary funds.
Today, MCE is a thriving, award winning small business with 46 employees that serves federal, commercial and private sector clients in 17 states in the New England, Mid Atlantic, South and Southwestern territories. The key to the company’s success is based upon Chapman’s philosophy to service each customer with a personalized collaborative approach that produces exceptional results and long-lasting relationships.
Chapman is actively engaged in dedicating some of his time to giving back to the city of Lowell, because he believes the city has given so much to him. His various contributions include:
- Board of Director’s member of the Greater Lowell Boys & Girls Club – Brian and MCE provide volunteer and pro-bono services
- Board of Director’s member of the Lowell Parks and Conservation Trust – Brian & MCE provide volunteer work
- Board of Director’s member of the Lowell Collegiate Charter School – Brian and fellow board members are dedicated to establishing a school that enables all member students to become eligible for a college education
- Board of Corporators member of the Lowell Five Cent Savings Bank
- 8 year supporter of Jimmy Fund Annual charity golf tournament
- Committee Member of the Coalition for a Better Acre – with EPA grant MCE trained Lowell area workers to assist with turning a contaminated area into a beautiful green space. MCE subsequently hired 6 people upon project completion.
Last year, SBA named Chapman its Massachusetts and New England Minority Small Business Person of the Year, an award presented annually to recognize a minority small business person is certified in the 8(a) business development program and who best exemplifies entrepreneurial success. Chapman was judged and honored on four basic criteria:
- Evidence of success as measured by sales and profit
- Response to adversity to achieve his present level of success
- Display of uniqueness or special attributes
- Participation in community projects and charitable affairs
For more information on contact: