SBA guaranteed loans can be used for a variety of business purposes, including starting or expanding an existing business. SBA guaranteed loans are made through our lending partners in compliance with SBA regulations. Using SBA guarantees allows banks, credit unions & other lenders to assist businesses which might not otherwise qualify for business loans. If you would like to receive free counseling, speak with one of SBA’s resource partners – Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers (SBTDCs), St. Louis SCORE or Mid Missouri SCORE, Grace Hill Women's Business Center (WBC), and the Veterans Business Resource Center (VBRC).
Recent changes to SBA loan programs could be of real benefit to small business owners. These changes include:
- SBA Guaranty fees are currently being waived for loans of $150,000 or less (through 9-30-14)
SBA Guaranty fees can be waived on loans of up to $350,000 to businesses that are 51% or more owned and controlled by an individual or individuals in one or more of the following groups:
- Veterans (other than dishonorably discharged);
- Service-Disabled Veterans;
- Active Duty Military service member participating in the military’s Transition Assistance Program (TAP);
- Reservists and National Guard Members; or
- Current spouse of any Veteran, Active Duty service member, or any Reservist or National Guard member; or widowed spouse of a service member who died while in service or of a service-connected disability.
- SBA has streamlined the application process and is utilizing one application form for all types of loans (with the exception of the Export Working Capital Program which has its own form)
- SBA is a character and cash flow lender which usually will not decline a loan for lack of collateral but can refuse to assist a business that will not pledge adequate collateral to fully secure an SBA-guaranteed loan.
Applications for SBA guaranteed loans are handled through our lending partners. The active SBA lender list for Eastern Missouri can be found here along with contact information and the types of loans they are certified to provide. This list also contains Certified Development Companies that originate our 504 loans and information on an SBA microlender that serves Eastern Missouri. When you visit a lender, be sure you ask to speak with a commercial loan specialist—preferably one experienced with SBA loans.
Please see the article titled What Your Lender Wants You to Know about Applying for an SBA Guaranteed Loan for more information on what you will need to have in order to apply for an SBA guaranteed loan and for tips on a successful application.
SBA guaranteed loans can greatly benefit small businesses which need capital for expansion, inventory, buildings, equipment, exporting, and other needs. Some of the most successful businesses in the country used SBA guaranteed loans in their infancy. Could you be the next SBA success story?
SBA is here to help small businesses start, thrive, and grow. SBA loan programs are a huge part of how we assist small businesses.