On Thursday, July 26, 2012, the USPTO published proposed rules and proposed examination guidelines for the first-inventor-to-file provision of the America Invents Act (AIA). The first-inventor-to-file provision of the AIA converts the United States from a "first-to-invent" to a "first-inventor-to-file" system. The proposed rules and examination guidelines amend the rules of practice to implement the conversion and provide guidance regarding the sections of the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure related to novelty and obviousness.
Comments are Due October 5, 2012.
- First-Inventor-to-File Proposed Rules (77 Fed. Reg. 43742, July 26, 2012
- First-Inventor-to-File Proposed Examination Guidelines (77 Fed. Reg. 43759, July 27, 2012)
- Submit comments via www.regulations.gov or via email at email@example.com
- Visit the AIA micro-site for other information related to USPTO’s AIA implementation activities
- Advocacy Contact: Jamie Saloom at 202/205-6890.