Welcome to the Business Law Advisor
by BobK, Community Administrator
- Created: September 23, 2009, 1:21 pm
- Updated: May 13, 2011, 3:06 pm
An aspiring entrepreneur recently asked why he couldn't get a straight answer to the simple question, 'Do I need a license to open an online business?' He consulted other several websites and message boards. Some said yes, some said no.
Why couldn't our friend get a straight answer? Because the correct answer to almost all business questions is 'it depends.' For example, whether or not a business license is needed depends on where the business is located, the type of business, and the specific activities in which the business is engaged.
But 'it depends' is only half the answer. You need to know where to go, what forms to fill out, and what rules apply to you. We will use this blog to provide the rest of the story by providing information and tools you need to get the straight answer for your specific business questions.
The articles published here will support the Business.gov community by acting as a legal and regulatory reference for common and timely business issues discussed in the community discussion boards.
We've developed an editorial calendar of topics that we plan to cover in the coming months based on your questions and comments. These topics include
- When is making money online a business?
- What licenses are required for home-based businesses?
- What licenses are required for a mobile business (e.g., a sandwich cart)?
- What is the difference between a trademark and a trade name?
- Where can I find if a business is legitimate?
- How do I certify my business?
- What laws do government contractors have to follow?
- Where do I start to learn about employment law?
- Do I have to display labor posters in my office?
- How do I change the name of my business?
- Do I need a new DBA or business license when I relocate my business?
- Which legal business structure is right for me?
We will cover topics based on questions most important to business owners, so please keep your questions coming, and check back here to get more in-depth information on timely business topics.
Top Rated Articles
About This Blog
Legal terms and rules explained