Idea Exchange: Share Your Energy Saving Tips
by ChristineL, Former Moderator
- Created: March 4, 2010, 10:03 am
Lately, sustainability and green business has been a hot topic amongst small businesses. By conserving energy, not only do small businesses reduce their carbon footprint, but also reduce their energy consumption and their operating costs. In our monthly Idea Exchange, where we pose questions to the Community about various topics, as well as the content, features or services provided by Business.gov, we asked members to;Share Your Energy Saving Tips-
Her-s what our members had to say about how they greened their small business:
Environmentally Friendly Power Sources and Products
- Use Alternate Power Sources. Alternate power sources like solar power are great ways to conserve energy. Vincent proposed that offices install solar panels, while rjonesx recommended solar charging stations for people to charge their cell phones. Learn more green power and renewable energy at Business.gov.
- Find the Energy Star Label. hope9290 suggested that small businesses check for the Energy Star label when purchasing electronics and other office appliances to ensure that it is an energy efficient product. Learn energy saving tips for office equipment here.
- Buy Energy Saving Products. geautho and MikeHammond agree that power saving products like LED lighting are not only friendly to the environment, but also save a lot of energy in the office. Learn more about energy efficient upgrades for your office.
- Green Your Building. atolabor2000 suggested better insulation products for office buildings to reduce heating and cooling costs. Learn about how to green your office and building in our blog article.
- Monitor Energy Usage. markspenser found the Google Power Meter to be a great way to measure and monitor energy consumption in your home, which is especially relevant to home-based business owners. Calculate your savings potential here.
- Turn Off Unnecessary Appliances. According to rchrdwellington, a simple action like turning off the lights is an easy and effective way for reducing the amount of wasted energy. Unplugging computers and turning off appliances that you are not using will also reduce energy consumption. Learn more energy saving tips for lighting at Business.gov.
- Share Office Supplies. shoplet mentioned that he hardly ever uses a stapler or tape, so why have one for each person in the office? By sharing office supplies, small businesses can reduce overhead costs and save the environment at the same time.
- Recycle. Recycling materials and supplies reduces unnecessary waste. Goodprinter suggested recycling ink cartridges is a small yet significant step towards reducing waste. Learn more about waste reduction practices at Business.gov.
- Reduce Paper Waste. SundownSlim acknowledges that businesses use (and waste) a considerable amount of paper. By adjusting the margins for printed documents and defaulting printers to print double-sided, businesses can cut down on the amount of wasted paper. He also suggested posting reminders and office competitions as incentives for employees to actively minimize the waste of paper. Read about how to use paper efficiently and save money by going paperless at Business.gov.
Thanks to everyone who submitted an idea to showcase their tips for conserving energy. We hope that these ideas motivate you to make your business more energy efficient or inspire you to start a green business. If you would like to read all the responses or see past idea exchanges, visit the Past Idea Exchange board.
More Resources on Greening Your Business
- Small Business Guide to Energy Efficiency
- Starting a Green Business
- Greening Your Small Business: Go Beyond the Hype with a Plan that Works for You
- Save Money Through Energy Efficiency Laws
Wha's Next for the Idea Exchange?
Top Rated Articles
About This Blog
News and happenings in the SBA Community
- December 2013 (4)
- November 2013 (26)
- October 2013 (17)
- September 2013 (24)
- August 2013 (21)
- July 2013 (26)
- June 2013 (24)
- May 2013 (29)
- April 2013 (29)
- March 2013 (27)
- February 2013 (26)
- January 2013 (30)
- December 2012 (24)
- November 2012 (29)
- October 2012 (26)
- September 2012 (29)
- August 2012 (26)
- July 2012 (29)
- June 2012 (25)
- May 2012 (33)
- April 2012 (35)
- March 2012 (36)
- February 2012 (35)
- January 2012 (30)