Why Joining a Credit Union for Military Entrepreneurs is Smart Business
by Marco Carbajo, Guest Blogger
- Created: May 26, 2012, 11:49 am
- Updated: May 13, 2013, 1:26 pm
If you are in the military, a veteran, or military spouse and either own or are thinking about starting a business, consider joining a credit union for military entrepreneurs to service your company’s banking needs.
Military credit unions offer tremendous benefits for small business owners and because they are member-owned, they always act in your best interest.
The good news is this: once you are a member, you are always a member. You can leave the military, change employers, move, retire, and get married— and never have to leave the credit union.
Some of the additional benefits for military entrepreneurs are the wide array of financial products and services military credit unions offer.
For example, Navy Federal Credit Union offers a business credit card that does not report to your personal credit reports. When you draw on your company’s credit line, your personal debt/credit ratios are unaffected. This shelters your personal credit for personal necessities such as auto loans, mortgages, student loans, and personal credit cards.
Here is a breakdown of the types of business services military credit unions offer to its members.
Business Checking & Savings
- Variety of business checking accounts
- Variety of dividend-earnings savings products—Money Market Savings Accounts (MMSAs), Jumbo MMSAs and Certificates
- Dividends earned daily
- No or low monthly maintenance fees
- Scan Deposits service
Business Loans (Secured and Unsecured Term Loans)
- Inventory financing
- Equipment purchases
- Leasehold improvements
- Finance—or even refinance—your investment properties
- SBA Loans offered for start-up and/or less tenured businesses
Business Credit Cards
- Low to No Annual Fees
- Annual Percentage Rate as low as prime + 5.9%
- Rewards Points
Merchant Card Processing
- Fair pricing
- Easy-to-read monthly processing statements that you will understand
- Dedicated customer service and support
Generally, you can join a Military credit union if you fall under any of these categories:
- All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel
- All Department of Defense Reservists
- All Army and Air National Guard Personnel
- All Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel
- All DoD Officer Candidate programs
- U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)
- All DoD civilian employees
- DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations
- Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members
Some credit unions allow your family members (once they’ve joined) to extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.
If you own a small start-up or a thriving company, a credit union for military entrepreneurs can help you guide your business every step of the way. You'll have a trusted partner who's looking out for your best interests.
*To locate a military credit union nearest you go to culookup.com and type in what branch of the military you serve under the affiliation tab.
My respect, appreciation, and prayers go out to all the members of our Military and their families. We thank you for your service, dedication, and sacrifice for our country.
About the Author
Marco Carbajo is CEO of the Business Credit Insiders Circle (www.businesscreditblogger.com), a step-by-step business credit building system providing lines of credit, trade credit and funding sources.
Top Rated Articles
About This Blog
Views from small business experts on growing your business
- July 2014 (13)
- June 2014 (17)
- May 2014 (23)
- April 2014 (28)
- March 2014 (21)
- February 2014 (16)
- January 2014 (22)
- December 2013 (15)
- November 2013 (26)
- October 2013 (17)
- September 2013 (24)
- August 2013 (21)
- July 2013 (26)
- June 2013 (24)
- May 2013 (29)
- April 2013 (29)
- March 2013 (27)
- February 2013 (26)
- January 2013 (30)