Legal steps for online businesses- etsy/ebay
by Maddy01, Window Shopper
- Created: November 30, 2010, 6:53 pm
Hi, I am planning on starting an online business selling homemade crafts. However, I want to first test the waters by selling on sites like etsy and ebay. I plan on having my etsy and ebay sites up and running by mid December and do not expect to make more than a few hundred dollars. So, my question is can I hold off on getting the business license, sales and use tax license, and reseller license until next year (January) since there is less than a month left for this year. I just want to make sure that there will be no penalty if I do not obtain the business license and such right away.
FYI: I am asking in reference to Marylan;s requirements.
My brain is fried after all the research -ve done. Here is what I have found and concluded:
- Business license
- Sales and use tax license which I can apply for through the controlle-s website.
- Reseller license for tax id purposes and to buy wholesale products
Do not need at the moment unless my company expands or I become a LLC:
- I do not need to register my business name (dba) since it is a sole proprietorship.
- I do not yet need an EIN since I do not have any employees
Please correct me if I am wrong. Again, my question is whether I can hold off on getting my business license and sales and use tax license until January. Or should I just get a sales and use tax license for now and get the business license in January?
- Community Home
- Discussion Boards
- Tell Us...
- Discuss Popular Topics
- Developer Resources
- Social Media