2012 SBA Champion Awards Announced: Idahoans Excel in Regional Competition
Boise, Idaho – The Boise District Office of the Small Business Administration announced the Regional and State 2012 Small Business Week Champion award winners. Nominations were received for the various award categories from resource partners, business groups as well as individuals and competed for State honors. State winners were then forwarded to the SBA Regional Office in Seattle to compete with State winners from Oregon, Washington and Alaska. This year, the Idaho’s winners were well-represented in the Regional competition.
“An independent panel of judges selected the winners based on several criteria, including: staying power; business growth; increase in employees; response to adversity; innovation; leadership and contributions to the small business community; and evidence of community-oriented projects,” said SBA Assistant Associate Administrator Calvin W. Goings. “The regional winners moved on to compete at the national level with winners from across the country.”
“Our State winners are excellent examples of Idahoans who are supporting the economic recovery in Idaho,” said Acting District Director Rodney Grzadzieleski. “This type of recognition validates our State’s can-do attitude.”
The 2012 Regional winners are:
- Small Business Exporter of the Year, Al Youngwerth, Joe DeGano and Alison Kelsey, Rekluse Motor Sports, Boise.
- Veterans Small Business Champion, Linda Bretz, Community Readiness Consultant, Mountain Home Air Force Base.
- Home-Based Business Champion, Barbara Bunner, Independent Sales Director, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Boise.
The 2012 State winners are:
- Financial Services Champion, Kathy Lorenz, Senior SBA Relationship Manager, Key Bank, Boise.
- Women in Business Champion, Joey Perry, Vice President of Private Banking, Washington Trust Bank, Boise.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year, Brian Wight, Owner, Dutch Brothers Coffee, Garden City.
- Jeffery Butland Family-Owned Business of the Year, Prime Time Auctions, Tanner and Staci Hernandez, Pocatello.
- Minority Small Business Champion, Carlos Duncan, Business Development Specialist, Micro Enterprise Training and Development, Caldwell.
Over the next few months, the award winners will be recognized at local business development events.