Connecticut Recap of Small Business Week
HARTFORD - The U.S. Small Business Administration Connecticut District Office held its Small Business Week Awards Breakfast last Friday, June 6th at Testo's Ristorante in Bridgeport, CT with over 200+ attendees present. It proved to be an outstanding event as seven small business owners and two small business champions were honored and recognized for the critical economic role they play in our state.
“Small business owners and employees across New England are proving their resiliency as they continue to drive the nation out of recession through economic growth and job creation,” said SBA New England Regional Administrator Seth Goodall. “Small Business Week gives us an opportunity to honor their achievements and the spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and determination that makes them the engine of our economy and our nation’s economic recovery.”
- EXPORTER OF THE YEAR Richard Wheeler - CAPEWELL COMPONENTS
- WOMEN-OWNED BUSINESS Shalini S. Madaras –SILVER PINE REAL ESTATE
- CONNECTICUT MICRO-ENTERPRISE AWARD Vivian Akuoko – EVAY COSMETICS, LLC
- 8a GRADUATE OF THE YEAR Fabiola Giguere -LIMPIEX CLEANING
- VETERAN ADVOCATE CHAMPION Kenneth Michael Bibalo
- MINORITY OWNED BUSINESS Leticia Colon de Mejias – ENERGY EFFICIENCIES
- FINANCIAL SERVICES CHAMPION Donna Wertenbach, CEDF
- SMALL BUSINESS PERSONS OF THE YEAR Max Kothari & Roger Mehta - EXPRESS KITCHENS
Dignitaries present were Senator Richard Blumenthal and Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch as well as leaders of Connecticut's Financial Instiutions and Chambers of Commerce. The State Small Business award winners and recipients of the Champion and other Entrepreneurial awards are nominated by local trade associations, chambers of commerce and business organizations and government agencies. The awards are presented to companies and individuals that are beacons of promise and models of excellence in their communities.