SBA’s 2013 Michigan Small Business Award Winners Are Announced, Including One Regional Winner!
DETROIT – The U.S. Small Business Administration has announced the winners of its 2013 Michigan Small Business awards. The awards will be presented on May 2, 2013 at the ninth annual Michigan Celebrates Small Business awards event at The Lansing Center in Lansing. For more information on the state’s premier small business event, go to www.michigancelebrates.biz.
As part of National Small Business Week, the SBA has been recognizing the special impact made by outstanding American entrepreneurs and small business owners since 1963. “The SBA is honored to highlight the impact of the courageous men and women who work every day to grow small businesses, create 21st century jobs, drive innovation, and increase America’s global competitiveness,” said Gerald Moore, SBA Michigan District Director. “Together with our partners, we honor and celebrate the individuals whose inspiration and efforts keep America strong.”
The SBA honors the exceptional small business owners and the champions who support them each year at Michigan Celebrates Small Business. The event was founded by the SBA, the Edward Lowe Foundation, the Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center Network, the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, the Small Business Association of Michigan and the Greater Lansing Business Monthly in a collaborative effort to showcase the economic power of Michigan’s small business.
The following winners were selected because of their staying power, financial performance, innovativeness, response to adversity, contributions to their communities, and advocacy for the advancement of small business.
- Small Business Person of the Year: Douglas Hekman, Quincy Street, Inc., Holland
- Michigan and Midwest Regional Young Entrepreneur of the Year: Johnathan David Julien, LJJ Construction, LLC, Houghton
- Exporter of the Year: Donald Carbone & Tim Keighron, Managed Programs, LLC, Auburn Hills
- Jeffrey Butland Family-Owned Business of the Year: Helen Irene Zeerip, Teddy’s Transport, Holland
- Michigan Veteran Small Business Owner: Lane Coleman, Strike Group, Detroit
- SBTDC Counselor of the Year: Melissa Angel, Kalamazoo SBTDC Growth Group
- SCORE Counselor of the Year: Thomas Raymond, SCORE Detroit Chapter
For more information on the award winners, please contact Catherine Gase at the SBA Michigan District Office at (313) 226-6075, ext.223 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on this event, please go to www.michigancelebrates.biz. Media note: Most photos of winners are available from SBA upon request.