Jump to Main Content
USA flagAn Official Website of the United States Government

What legal aspects do I need to consider?


Licenses required, zoning laws, and other regulations vary from business to business and from state to state. Your local Small Business Administration (SBA) office and/or chamber of commerce will provide you with general information, but you will need to consult your attorney for advice specific to your enterprise and area. You also must decide about your form of organization (corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship) and tax status (e.g., should you opt for a Subchapter S status?).