Jump to Main Content
USA flagAn Official Website of the United States Government

What products require an export license?


Certain products, because of both their civilian and military purposes, may require an export license. For information you may contact Trade Export - Office of Bureau of Export Administration: (408) 748-7450. Sophisticated and high technology products, short supply items, technical information, and products that have defense, strategic, weapons development, proliferation, or law enforcement applications can be subject to export licenses. It is up to the exporter to determine whether the product requires a license. Exporters should consult the Commerce Department's BXA and find out if the items or services they are planning to export are classified on the Commerce Control List (CCL). If a product appears on this list, it may require a license. In general, this list contains items controlled by the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) because they are considered to be dual use items.