SBA seeks nominations for New Mexico District Small Business Person of the Year, National Awards
U.S Small Business Administration News Release
NEW MEXICO DISTRICT OFFICE
SBA seeks nominations for
New Mexico District Small Business Person of the Year,
ALBUQUERQUE – The U.S. Small Business Administration New Mexico District Office is seeking successful and inspiring entrepreneurs to represent New Mexico during the 2014 National Small Business Awards event hosted by the SBA. Nominations are due Jan. 17, 2014.
“This is the time to honor an outstanding entrepreneur in your area. Small business owners are so important to the strength of our country, and these awards provide an opportunity to celebrate their success,” said Yolanda Garcia Olivarez, SBA Regional Administrator. Olivarez heads Region VI which serves more than 3.3 million entrepreneurs in Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. “Each day these men and women overcome obstacles with creativity and perseverance, and help create jobs for themselves and others.”
New Mexico District Director John Woosley said, “Small Business Week provides an opportunity each year for us to recognize outstanding small businesses and their advocates in New Mexico and nationally. I look forward to seeing New Mexico continue its tradition of strong candidates and nominations for the Small Business Week awards.”
The national award categories are:
- Small Business Person of the Year
The New Mexico Small Business Person of the Year will be selected based on staying power as evidenced by a minimum three years in business, growth in number of employees, increase in sales, innovativeness of product or service, response to adversity and contributions to community-oriented projects. The New Mexico award winner- goes on to compete for National Small Business Person of the Year award. Any individual or organization dedicated to the support of the small business community in the United States, may submit nominations, including trade and professional associations and business organizations.
- Small Business Exporter of the Year - An individual who owns and operates a small
business engaged in exporting.
- Phoenix (Disaster Recovery) Awards
These awards are given to those individuals (business owners, volunteers and public officials) whose efforts and contributions have enabled their business or communities to recover successfully from a disaster.
- 8(a) Graduate of the Year - This award recognizes a formerly certified 8(a) Business Development Program participant that graduated from the program prior to April 1, 2012. The firm does not have to currently be a small business.
- Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Excellence and Innovation Center Award
This award honors a SBDC Service Center for excellence in providing value to small businesses and advancing program delivery and management through innovation.
- Veterans Business Outreach Centers (VBOC) Excellence in Service Award - This award honors VBOCs for excellence in providing value to veterans and the veteran small business community by increasing the number of small businesses owned and controlled by veterans. The award should focus on the work of the VBOC and not on the host organization or the VBOC director.
- Women’s Business Center (WBC) of Excellence Award - This award honors a WBC for its excellence and innovation in assisting women entrepreneurs by providing a wide variety of training and counseling. The award should focus on the work of the WBC and not on the host organization or the women’s business center director.
Nominees who will compete for national awards should submit nominations via the SBA online nominations portal at http://nationalsmallbusinessweek.sba.gov/user
For more information, contact Sandra Duran Poole at (505) 248-8233 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org