L. & J.G. Stickley, Inc.
In 1974 Alfred and Aminy Audi purchased the ailing L. & J.G. Stickley company from Leopold Stickley’s widow, Louise. The Audi family was the largest Stickley dealer in the country, but Stickley furniture production had dropped to an all-time low, sometimes taking several years for a piece to be completed. Many in the furniture industry predicted that the company had a 1 in 10 chance of surviving. In 1974, there were 25 employees and annual sales of only $235,000.
The purchase of the company was financed with the assistance of two SBA guaranteed loans for $135,000. In 1985, Stickley moved its production to a new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility that serves as the company’s main manufacturing facility and corporate headquarters in Manlius, NY. The new plant streamlined the entire production process, and provided a vast improvement over the two-story layout of the old plant. "Immediately our efficiency more than doubled,” says Audi.
After an SBA backed 504 loan for $544,000 in 1994 and seven expansions, the factory has grown to over 400,000 square feet. In 1989, Stickley decided to reintroduce Mission-style furniture, which had not been manufactured since 1917. This was a dramatic change and consumers loved it. It is still Stickley's top seller.
Today, Stickley is has nearly 1400 employees. Stickley is perhaps the most revered and sought after brand in the furniture industry. It is distributed globally through a network of 150 dealers and fourteen company-owned showrooms in seven states. The loyalty of the Stickley customer is legendary.