Jump to Main Content
USA flagAn Official Website of the United States Government



The EPA's New Lead-Based Paint Hazard Regulations for Businesses

Comment Count:

Comments welcome on this page. See Rules of Conduct.

The EPA's New Lead-Based Paint Hazard Regulations for Businesses

By NicoleD
Published: March 30, 2010

Home improvement contractors, maintenance professionals, and child care facilities face new environmental standards this month.

The EP;s Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair and Painting (RPP) program has issued a regulation that affects contractors, property managers, and others who disturb painted surfaces in facilities built before 1978. The rule is aimed at protecting against the lead-based paint hazards associated with renovation, repair and painting activities for residential houses, apartments, and child-occupied facilities such as schools and daycare centers.

Who does the rule apply to?
Any paid worker who disturbs paint in housing and child-occupied facilities built before 1978, including residential property owners, general contractors, painters, plumbers, carpenters, and electricians, are subject to the new rule.

How do I comply?
Though the rule was established in 2008, some portions of it do not go into effect until April 2010, so businesses have ample time to comply with the requirements. The EPA provides businesses with a free compliance handbook that outlines the simple steps to implement the lead program requirements:

  • Effective immediately, businesses must distribute the EP-s lead pamphlet or post a sign before any renovation work begins, and retain records for three years after a renovation is complete.
  • Businesses have until the end of April 2010 to provide employee training, become certified, and institute protective lead-safe work practices.
  • To apply for certification, businesses must submit a signed and completed-Application for Firms' along with the associated fees, to EPA. To obtain a copy of the'Application for Firm' contact the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323) or visit the EP's Renovator and Trainer Tool Box training website.

    Keep in mind that your state or local government may enact a different version of the federal requirements. For more information on the rules that apply in your state, contact the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323).

Is there assistance for small businesses?

The EP's Small Business Policy applies to businesses with 100 or fewer employees and encourages businesses to voluntarily discover, disclose, and correct violations by working with one of the agenc's construction industry compliance assistance centers.

For more information visit the EP's Small Business Policy website.

Where can I receive a copy of the rule?
For single copies, in Spanish or English, of Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Facilities and Schools (EPA-740-F-08-002), call the National Lead Information Center (NLIC) at 1-800-424-LEAD or print the brochure from the EP's website.

About the Author:


james - this rule applies only to paint in housing and child-occupied facilities built before 1978. chad and dnattorney - thanks for your feedback! we're glad you found this article useful.
I am a painting contractor based out of Orange County California.  I like that the government is making guidlines like these, which protect both my employees, my customers as well as myself from the harmful affects of lead based paint. Chad
So I am a parking lot striping contractor. Is it possible that the curbs that have been repainted a dozez times or so over the last 20 years contain lead paint and if so how should I handle it?  JamesEmpire Parking Lot Services

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to leave comments. If you already have an SBA.gov account, Log In to leave your comment.

New users, Register for a new account and join the conversation today!