Managing a Business

Blogs.Managing a Business


Which Tax Form Should You File? Schedule C or the (Easier) Schedule C-EZ?

Comment Count:

Comments welcome on this page. See Rules of Conduct.

Which Tax Form Should You File? Schedule C or the (Easier) Schedule C-EZ?

By Caron_Beesley, Contributor
Published: March 25, 2013 Updated: July 19, 2016

Schedule CIf you are a sole proprietor, any earnings you make or expenses you incur as a business owner are included as part of your individual annual tax return (Form 1040). To calculate exactly what to report on Form 1040, you must itemize all operational income and expenses on one of two forms – Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ.

But which one should you use and how do you file? Here’s what you need to know.

Who Should Use Schedule C?

Schedule C (Form 1040) Profit or Loss from Business is the federal tax form filed by most sole proprietors or one owner businesses. The form is used to report both income and losses during tax season.

Sole proprietorships are often considered new to business ownership. However, the truth is that over 70 percent of U.S. business are owned and operated by sole proprietors or sole traders.

Business owners who make very little, or even those who are trading at a loss, can also use schedule C.

What is Schedule C-EZ?

Schedule C-EZ is a simplified and abbreviated version of Schedule C (hence the “EZ” in the title) and can save eligible business owners time and trouble when reporting business income and expenses on the 1040 federal income tax form.

Should You File a Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ?

Businesses that are eligible to use the simpler Schedule C-EZ must meet the following criteria:

  • Your expenses are not greater than $5,000
  • You have no employees
  • You have no inventory
  • You are not using depreciation or deducting the cost of your home you can use Schedule C-EZ.

If you can check all these boxes, then Schedule C-EZ can make tax season a lot easier.

If you run a home-based business, to take advantage of the home office deduction you’ll need to use Schedule C. It may take longer, but the tax savings will be worth it.

What is the Process for Filing a Schedule C?

Start with good records – something you should be doing as a business owner from the get-go. Every expense, payment, receipt, tax form and loss needs to be recorded and kept separate from your own personal financial records (separate credit cards, for example, will ensure you can easily identify and track business costs).

Schedule C itself is filed annually as an attachment to Form 1040 – Individual Tax Return. The quickest and safest way to file is by IRS e-file—either online with commercial tax preparation software or through a tax professional who is an authorized IRS e-file provider.

Don’t Forget to Make Quarterly Estimated Payments

As a Schedule C filer, you also need to make quarterly estimated tax payments to cover your income tax (federal and state), social security and self-employment tax. This article explains the process: How To Calculate and Make Estimated Tax Payments.

Additional Information

These tips were drawn from the SBA Small Business Learning Center video series on financing topics (specifically Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business). Check out the Center for more free self-paced online training courses, quick videos, web chats and more to help small business owners explore and learn about the many aspects of business ownership.

Also check out SBA’s Filing and Paying Small Business Taxes Guide and the IRS Small Business and Self-Employed Center for more advice on tax matters.

About the Author:

Caron Beesley


Caron Beesley is a small business owner, a writer, and marketing communications consultant. Caron works with the team to promote essential government resources that help entrepreneurs and small business owners start-up, grow and succeed. Follow Caron on Twitter: @caronbeesley


Thanks Caron for the excellent info. I am planning on claiming the home office deduction for the first time next year so this is extremely helpful for me. Thanks!
Schedule C and Schedule C-EZ are both usually bad tax forms to file. A good business structure is the first step to reducing risk and paying less taxes. The sole proprietorship (Schedule C) is a bad business structure. It puts everything you own at risk and subjects you to an excess tax of 15.3 percent self-employment tax on all net income. You are also taxed at the individual rate as well. If you own a business incorporate!
When I first started our family business, taxes were the last thing on my mind. When the time came to file I was hit with a $6,000 bill and no idea how to pay it. Would be entrepreneurs really need to slow down in the excitement of starting a business and consider the tax ramifications of their actions. Thanks for the helpful reminder of this.
Filing the correct taxes are extremely important. I see so many businesses and people have to file bankruptcy because they owe the IRS.
Thank you for the post, doing your own taxes can be very confusing and stressful!
Thanks Caron for the excellent info. I am planning on claiming the home office deduction for the first time next year so this is extremely helpful for me. Thanks!
I have to use schedule C thank you for the informations which are very useful for me!
Good reminders and tips suggested. The illustrations in the Tax Center of what should appear on your Schedule D are very useful. It seems easy to make mistakes when you sell stock from stock options and restricted stock when you sell the shares right away. It can happen because all the income is really on your W-2 and really nothing more on your Schedule D for the sale, but you still need to file it. regards.        Please note that Community members may not include personally identifiable information, such as phone numbers or email addresses, in posts. 
i always use tax software which is much simpler for me

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to leave comments. If you already have an account, Log In to leave your comment.

New users, Register for a new account and join the conversation today!