Connect With Us

Community Header Banner

Does my SAM entry require a TIN/EIN number and/or a US address in order for SBA to validate my company as a "small business"?

by CanadaGuy, Window Shopper

  • Created: January 31, 2014, 5:25 pm
  • Updated: January 31, 2014, 5:27 pm
My company's SAM (System for Aware Management) entry does not have a TIN/EIN entry, and because I'm located in Canada it has a Canadian address. But I have all other information fields filled out, including NAICS codes and number of employees and revenue (income) that should qualify us as a "Small Business". But the link on the SAM site that is supposed to validate our Small Business status by opening up a page on the site just opens a blank page. I've looked through SBA's "Dynamic Small Business Search" and I don't see any companies listed with Canadian addresses. I understand that SAM can't or doesn't convey or give Small Business Status to companies that register with them, but instead the designation of "Small Business" must come from the SBA. So I'm asking for SOLID INFORMATION as to whether or not the Small Business Administration can convey Small Business Status on companies located in Canada for the purposes required by SAM. Does a company need to provide a US address and/or a federal tax ID number in order for the SBA to convey "Small Business Status" on that company?

kmurray | Community Moderator | 2/6/2014 - 3:41 pm

The SBA, for most industries, defines a "small business" as a U.S. small business as a concern that has a place of business in the US and operates primarily within the U.S. or makes a significant contribution to the U.S. economy through payment of taxes or use of American products, materials or labor. You can read more here: