Jump to Main Content
USA flagAn Official Website of the United States Government

Disaster Assistance

Disaster can strike at any time, and even the most prepared businesses and business owners can be adversely impacted. If your business has been impacted by a disaster, the SBA can help by providing disaster assistance. 

Disaster assistance is money provided to individuals, families and businesses in an area whose property has been damaged or destroyed following a Presidential-declared disaster; and whose losses are not covered by insurance. Loans may be available to businesses that have suffered an economic loss as a result of the disaster. Assistance is available from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the SBA, the Farm Services Agency (FSA) and state governments.

FEMA Disaster Assistance

If you need assistance after a disaster, your first point of contact should be FEMA. Contact FEMA directly to apply for assistance, which includes money for housing and essential expenses, such as food and clothing; and critical personal expenses, such as medication. To learn more about FEMA and how to access assistance, explore the following resources:

Disaster and Economic Injury Loans

The SBA and USDA provide low interest loans to businesses and individuals to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.

  • Home and Property Disaster Loans
    Renters and homeowners alike may borrow up to $40,000 to repair or replace clothing, furniture, cars, appliances, etc. damaged or destroyed in the disaster. Homeowners may apply for up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence to its pre-disaster condition.

  • Disaster Assistance Loans
    SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, nonprofit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.

  • Economic Injury Loans
    If your small business or private, nonprofit organization has suffered economic injury, regardless of physical damage, and is located in a declared disaster area, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

  • Military Reservist Economic Injury Disaster Loans
    Provides funds to eligible small businesses to meet their ordinary and necessary operating expenses that they were unable to meet due to an essential employee being "called-up" to active duty in their role as a military reservist.

  • Farm Emergency Loans
    Offers emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.

The Farm Service Agency also provides a disaster assistance guide for farmers and ranchers for natural disaster losses resulting from drought, flood, fire, freeze, tornadoes, and pest infestation. 

Employment Assistance

Tax Relief Assistance