You are here
Minnesota SBA Honors Financial Services Champion
Clarkfield, Minn. – Ruth Ann Karty, Professional Business Consultant at the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, has been named Minnesota Financial Services Champions of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
The Financial Services Champion award is presented annually in each state to individuals who assist small businesses through advocacy efforts to increase the usefulness and availability of accounting or financial services. Liz Struve, Regional Director of the Southwest Minnesota Small Business Development Center, nominated Karty for this award.
Karty is an advocate for the small business community of southwest Minnesota. Her support and dedication to the rural region enhances the quality of life for rural residents by cultivating financial and economic opportunities.
For over 25 years, her positions as a Professional Business Consultant for the Small Business Development Center and as a Minnesota Farm Advocate for the Department of Agriculture have allowed her to support the economic growth so vital for the rural region she serves.
Karty gives graciously to the small business community. She works well beyond her duties as a Professional Business Consultant for the SBDC. Endless hours of her time are given to a large array of recipients within the region. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
• Presents seminars on starting a business, QuickBooks, marketing, preparing a business plan, Fast Trac, Core Four and others of interest to the small business owner audience.
• Junior Achievement presentation – getting and keeping good credit.
• Presents information on small business needs and the offerings of the SBDC to Veran, Lender, and business groups.
• Participates in round table discussions of services available and small business issues and concerns.
• Maintains good relationships with area lenders, commercial government, and private. She keeps them updated on new information, program, and seminars that may benefit them or their customers.
• Always willing to take calls from non-client entrepreneurs to discuss their plan and next steps.
• Assists local Economic Development Professionals and Agencies with problem solving and project direction.
Karty has assisted in the development of new and effective methods to assist small businesses and to address their financing needs. She strives to advance and improve upon the delivery of financial assistance made available to small businesses.
During the economic downturn, Karty’s clients found it increasingly difficult to raise the capital necessary to start, sustain and grow their businesses. She saw the need to reach out and find creative ways to raise the necessary capital.
Karty’s resourcefulness in addressing the many challenges presented by small businesses attempting to find funding is symbolic of her entrepreneurial spirit and her desire to always put her cl8ients’ needs first.
Ruth Ann will be honored at the Minnesota Small Business Week Awards program on May 6, 2014 at the Minneapolis Marriott Northwest.
For more information:
Ruth Ann Karty
SBDC Professional Business Consultant
2309 – 350th Street
Clarkfield, MN 56223