You are here
There are many opportunities throughout the federal government for businesses owned by Native Americans. These include government contracting, business development and other programs that are designed to help Native American entrepreneurs start, grow and manage their businesses.
SBA Programs for Native American Small Businesses
SBA’s Office of Native American Affairs can help ensure Native-owned small businesses have full access to business development and expansion tools.
As defined by SBA’s regulations, native-owned businesses are presumed to be socially and economically disadvantaged. These businesses can apply for the nine-year, 8(a) Business Development Program certification.
The 8(a) program helps firms grow their businesses through one-to-one counseling, training workshops, and management and technical guidance. It also provides access to government contracting opportunities, allowing businesses to become solid competitors in the federal marketplace. Business development services, such as counseling and training, are provided by SBA's District Office staff.
Other Federal Programs
The Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Indian Affairs provides services to federally recognized tribes. Through Indian Affairs programs, tribes can take advantage of education, job training and employment opportunities.
To learn more about all of the programs and resources available to you and other Native Americans, please visit the following:
- Online Training: Native American Business Primer
- SBA's Office of Native American Affairs
- Indian Affairs’ Division of Economic Development
- U.S.Department of Agriculture American Indian & Alaska Native Programs
- White House – President Obama and the Native American Community
- U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- National Congress of American Indians
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency- Federal Agencies Native American Offices, Programs, and Resources
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Administration for Native Americans
- Minority Business Development Agency