SBA Announces Small Business Week Winners
HARTFORD, CT – Lawrence Janesky, Owner/President of Seymour-based Connecticut Basement Systems has been named the U.S. Small Business Administration’s 2012 Connecticut Small Business Person of the Year, SBA’s top award, according to an announcement made by Bernard M. Sweeney, Connecticut’s SBA District Director.
Janesky founded Connecticut Basement Systems in 1987 as a basement waterproofing, crawl space repair, basement finishing and foundation repair company. Its team has been providing superior service to customers not only in Connecticut but across the United States as well. Today Connecticut Basement Systems employs over 113 people and continues to grow strong nationally.
Other SBA award winners are:
- Kristen Hickey of AETNA was named 2012 Minority Champion of the Year. Hickey is not only a full time supplier diversity leader at the AETNA, she has been recognized locally and nationally for being a leader in the utilization and development of minority and women owned business enterprises. Se builds capacity by guiding, directing and supporting AETNA staff and management in understanding and integrating supplier diversity principles and strategies into business operations.
- Scott Kluger of Hartford, CT was named 2012 Young Entrepreneur of the Year. Kluger’s appreciation for great food and his love of cooking has made him an entrepreneurial success. Since 2008 Kluger has had the entrepreneurship “bug” and while writing a business plan and apprenticing with his mom to learn about breadmaking, he opened “Hartford Baking Company” in 2010. He combined his baking talents with serving the best coffee and is making his entrepreneurial dream a reality.
- Jessica S. Sager, of New Haven, CT is Founder and Executive Director of All Our Kin, was named the 2012Women in Business Champion of the Year. Sager provides support and training that sustains community child care providers. Ms. Sager is a true advocate for women since 98% of All Our Kin’s small business owners are women.
- Michael Zacchea of Brookfield, CT was named 2012 Veteran Advocate Champion of the Year. Zacchea is a veteran and served at Camp Lejeune as a forward observer and platoon commander, deploying to Somalia for Operation Restore Hope and Haiti for Operation support Democracy. Mike’s military awards include the Bronze Star Medal for Valor, a Purple Heart Medal, a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal and numerous unit and campaign awards. He is the Program Director of the UCONN Entrepreneur Bootcamp for veterans with disabilities. He continues to be active in counseling veterans on workforce re-entry issues.
- Sandi Weber of Hamden, CT was named 2012 Financial Services Champion of the Year. Ms. Weber has over 20+ years’ experience in the commercial lending industry. She is currently vice present of SBA lending at Quinnipiac Bank and serves as the bank’s liaison for all small business federal and state lending programs. Ms. Weber has been a community advocate for small businesses as well as a staunch advocate for SBA lending.
All the award winners will be recognized at the Connecticut Small Business Week breakfast celebration scheduled for Tuesday, June 5th, 2012, at Heritage Hotel in Southbury, CT.