BIO: ANTHONY RUIZ, MBA/JD
- March 2015, District Director, San Antonio, TX District Office. Jan. 2012-Feb. 2015, Assistant District Director/8(a) Business Development Program, Washington, DC Metropolitan Area District Office (WMADO), U.S. Small Business Administration. Led and managed the improvement of the district office’s 8(a) customer service and performance, resulting in agencies positively responding with an increase of 8(a) contract awards to over $6.4 Billion in GFY 2014, up from $3.9 billion in GFY 2013, for the 8(a) firms serviced by WMADO. The SBA Washington Metro Area District Office serviced 1,100 8(a) firms which comprised 20% of the nation’s 8(a) firms. Feb.-Dec. 2011, ADD/Marketing & Outreach, WMADO; effectively surpassed all district office goals for Outreach.
- Prior Professional Experience: Thirty years in the private sector: 20 years as a business owner of multiple companies (turnaround management consulting, manufacturing, construction and engineering), engaged in federal government contracting since 1983 and the 8(a) market since 1987; 5 years improving problem banks; and 5 years international banking, financing global trade, including barter counter-trade and international purchase order financing.
- Before joining SBA, seven years’ experience with the Maryland Small Business Development Center (MDSBDC), as the Capital Region Director (servicing Montgomery & Prince George’s Counties, 2007-2011), leading that Region as the #2 top performing SBDC Region in the nation and the #1 performing region in SBA Region III. Also the former Senior Management Consultant in the Baltimore City Office for the Central Region - Maryland SBDC (2003-2007) building that Center from zero to over 250 clients in 18 months.
- Education: Law Degree –Business, Finance & International Trade (University of Arizona); MBA in Finance, Marketing & International Business (University of Southern California); Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations (California State University – Los Angeles, with honors)
Recent Awards & Honors
- Finalist, Outstanding Professional of the Year, Maryland Hispanic Chamber of Commerce First Annual Gala Awards Program (2014).
- Excellence in Seminars Planning Award: The 2011 Maryland Hispanic Business Conference (seven years volunteer service in creating and directing the Conference’s Seminars Programs)
- Prince George’s Chamber of Commerce Certificate of Service Appreciation-Director of the Chamber’s Minority and Small Business Committee (2008-2010)
- Recipient of SBA’s 2009 Small Business Development Center Service Excellence and Innovation Center Award; #2 Top Performing SBDC Region in the Nation & #1 SBDC Center in SBA Region III
- The Maryland SBDC Network’s #1 Top Performing Region (FY 2010, 2009 & 2008)
- Greater Baltimore Committee 2008 Bridging the GAP Finalist Award: Assisting Minority Entrepreneurs
- The 2007 Maryland Governor’s Hispanic Commission Citation for Lifetime Achievement
- The 2007 Maryland SBDC Network State Star Award for Outstanding Performance
- The 2005 U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA, Baltimore City District Office) Robert A. Nicholls Small Business Service Award for Outstanding Minority Business Advocacy
Military: Vietnam Veteran; Staff Sergeant-United States Army Field Artillery (1967-1969); Distinguished with a Purple Heart and Bronze Star while in military combat.