You are here
The Wisconsin District Office is responsible for the delivery of SBA’s many programs and services to Wisconsin’s 72 counties. The staff travels frequently throughout the state to help small businesses start, grow, and succeed.
- Milwaukee office: 310 W. Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 580W, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (414) 297-3941
- Madison office: 740 Regent Street, Suite 100, Madison, WI 53715 (608) 441-5261
District Director - Eric Ness (414) 297-1471 or (608) 441-5268
Deputy District Director/Veterans Representative - Frank Demarest, Jr (link sends e-mail). (414) 297-1099
Public Information Officer - Shirah Apple (link sends e-mail) (414) 297-1096
Over the years, the SBA has developed many small business loan and assistance programs, special outreach efforts and initiatives to aid and inform small businesses:
- Over 160 active bank and non-bank lenders throughout the state provide SBA guaranteed loans for new or existing firms. In the year ending September 30, 2015, 1733 such loans totaling over $607 million were made, including 618 loans to new businesses. SBA’s nine micro-lenders made 94 micro-loans for $2.1 million during that same time period, including 34 loans to new businesses.
- Consulting, counseling, training, and mentoring services through 3 networks of SBA resource partners with many locations. Their training classes and events are posted on this web page. Many are free; some require a nominal fee to register.
- Small Business Development Centers (link is external) located at University of Wisconsin extensions. Tammie Clendenning (link sends e-mail) is our SBDC Rep, contact Tammie Clendenning at (414) 297-4089, Tammie is also our Hmong Representative.
- Women Business Centers with locations in southeastern Wisconsin, Eau Claire, and Superior. The Women’s Business Representative is Mary Trimmier (link sends e-mail), Lead Economic Development Specialist at (414) 297-1093. In addition, Mary is also our African American Representative.
- SCORE offices, whose volunteers with significant business experience provide mentoring and counseling, have more than 20 locations statewide. Robin Dittberner (link sends e-mail) is our SCORE representative; you may reach her at 608-441-5521
- Our Veterans Representative provides business counseling and information about SBA guaranteed loans with fee savings for veterans. Contact Frank Demarest (link sends e-mail), Deputy Director at (414) 297-1099. In addition, Frank also is the Native American and Latino Representative.
- Special loan programs are available for businesses involved in international trade/export. Contact Mike Fazio (link sends e-mail) at (414) 297-1097.
- Government Contracting – Shane Mahaffy (link sends e-mail), Lead Business Opportunity Specialist at (414) 297-1455; James Strube (link sends e-mail), Business Opportunity Specialist at (414) 297-3951; and Cartina Austin (link sends e-mail), Program Support for Business Development – (414) 297-1092.
- Lender Relationship Specialists are:
- Mike Fazio (link sends e-mail) (414) 297-1097
- Ellie Berg (link sends e-mail) (414) 297-1488
- Joe Malloy (link sends e-mail) (608) 441-5560
- Administrative Officer/Disaster Coordinator, please contact Patricia Pettey (link sends e-mail) - (608) 441-5204
- District Support and 912’s, please contact Betsy Jorgensen (link sends e-mail) - (608) 441-5263
- District Support Assistant - Gloria Hloucal (link sends e-mail) – (414) 297-1091
- All Media - Contact Shirah Apple (link sends e-mail), PIO - 414-297-1092
- District Counsel is Brad Trimble (link sends e-mail) - (414) 297-4090
Speaking requests: Please contact the Madison office at (608) 441-5261 or the Milwaukee office at (414) 297-1091 at least 3 weeks in advance.
To schedule a meeting with District Director Eric Ness, please contact Shirah Apple (414) 297-1096.
To have a Wisconsin SBA Resource Guide mailed to you, or for general questions, please email us at Wisconsin@sba.gov (link sends e-mail).