You are here
Since 1953, SBA has provided access to capital; small business support; and economic development and job creation for small businesses. The Wisconsin District Office is responsible for the delivery of SBA's programs and services to the Badger State’s 72 counties. SBA maintains 68 offices around in the U.S. with Wisconsin locations in Milwaukee and Madison.
Milwaukee office: 414-297-3941
Madison office: 608-441-5261
District Director: Eric Ness, 414-297-1471
Deputy District Director/Veteran Representative: Frank Demarest, Jr, 414- 297-1099
Media inquiries: Shirah Apple, 414-297-1096
Helping Businesses Start, Grow, and Succeed
- In FY2016, SBA guaranteed 1624 loans to Wisconsin small businesses for $656.8 million through the 7(a) and 504 loan programs, including 578 loans to startups. SBA micro-lenders also provided 129 loans totaling $2.8 million, including 67 startups. There are 400 SBA lenders statewide, including banks, credit unions, and community-based lenders. Current lending activity.
- Banks, credit unions, and community based lenders who have questions or need training on SBA lending can contact Ellie Berg, Lender Relations Specialist, at 414-297-1488
- The District International Trade Officer can assist with export lending programs as well as with micro-lending. Contact Mary Trimmier at 414-297-1093. Mary is also the women’s business representative and the African American representative.
- Support for small businesses, including training classes, mentoring, and counseling, occurs through a network of partner organizations. These include SCORE’s experienced volunteer counselors, Small Business Development Centers at UW extensions, and Women’s Business Centers. Almost 14,600 entrepreneurs received services in FY2016.
- Veterans can get business counseling and information on SBA loan programs for vets, transitioning services members, and their families. Contact Frank Demarest at 414-297-1099. Frank is also the Native American and Latino representative. The Veterans Business Outreach Center also supports Wisconsin’s veteran entrepreneurs.
- The government purchases about $90 billion in goods and services annually from small businesses. If you are interested in selling to the Federal government, contact Shane Mahaffy , Lead Business Opportunity Specialist at 414-297-1455; James Strube, Business Opportunity Specialist (8(a) Business Development Program) at 414-297-3951; and Cartina Austin.
To request a speaker from SBA, contact one of the specialists above or the offices in Madison: 608-441-5261 or Milwaukee: 414-297-3941, at least three weeks in advance. We may not be able to meet every request.
To schedule a meeting with District Director Eric Ness, contact Shirah Apple (414) 297-1096.
To request a Wisconsin SBA Resource Guide, or for general questions: Wisconsin@sba.gov.