Ms. Barbara Carson joined the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), in Washington, D.C, in June 2013. She is the Associate Administrator for the Office of Veterans Business Development (OVBD...
You are here
Office of Veterans Business Development | Resources
The Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC) Program is designed to provide entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling and mentoring, and referrals for eligible veterans owning or considering starting a small business. The SBA has 15 organizations participating in this cooperative agreement and serving as Veterans Business Outreach Centers (VBOC).
Services Provided by the Centers
Pre-Business Plan Workshops
VBOCs conduct entrepreneurial development workshops dealing specifically with the major issues of self-employment. An important segment of these workshops entails the usage of the Internet as a tool for developing and expanding businesses. Each client is afforded the opportunity to work directly with a business counselor.
VBOCs assist clients in assessing their entrepreneurial needs and requirements.
Business Plan Preparations
VBOCs assist clients in developing and maintaining a five-year business plan. The business plan includes such elements as the legal form if the business, equipment requirements and cost, organizational structure, a strategic plan, market analysis, and a financial plan. Financial plans include financial projections, budget projections, and funding requirements.
Comprehensive Feasibility Analysis
VBOCs provide assistance in identifying and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the business plan to increase the probability of success. The results of the analysis are utilized to revise the strategic planning portion of the business plan.
Entrepreneurial Training and Counseling
VBOCs, working with other SBA resource partners, target entrepreneurial training projects and counseling sessions tailored specifically to address the needs and concerns of the service-disabled veteran entrepreneur.
VBOCs conduct, as appropriate, on-site visits with clients to ensure adherence to their business plans. Additionally, VBOCs review monthly financial statements to determine whether a revision of the business plan is warranted or that desired results are being attained.
Other Business Developmental Related Services
Center Locations and Areas of Coverage
- Syracuse University – Falcone Center for Entrepreneurship
- States Covered: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut
- Address: 721 University Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13244
- Website: http://whitman.syr.edu/programs-and-academics/centers-and-institutes/falcone/
- Telephone Number: 315-443-0286
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Research Foundation for the State University of New York at Albany
- Hampton Roads Veterans Business Outreach Center at Old Dominion University
- Community Business Partnership
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at Gulf Coast State College
- The Veterans Business Outreach Center at Fayetteville State University
- The Veterans Business Outreach Center at Mississippi State University
- VetBiz Central, Inc
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at Women’s Business Development Center
- Veterans Business Outreach Center - University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- States Covered: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas
- Address: CESS Building, 1407 East Freddy Gonzalez Drive, Edinburg, TX 78539
- Website: http://portal.utpa.edu/utpa_main/ce_home/bdi_home/vboc_2012_home
- Telephone Number: 956-665-8931
- Email Address: email@example.com
- New Mexico Veterans Business Outreach Center
- Veterans Advocacy Foundation, Inc.
- Big Sky Economic Development Authority
- Veterans Business Outreach Center IX
- VBOC IX Sub-Center
- Seattle Business Assistance Center