What is the Veterans Business Outreach Center Program?
The Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC) program is designed to provide entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling, and resource partner referrals to service members, veterans, National Guard and Reserve members, military spouses, and family members interested in starting or growing a small business. SBA has 28 organizations participating in this cooperative agreement and serving as VBOCs.
How can the VBOC program help my small business?
SBA's VBOCs offer workshops, training, counseling, and mentorship opportunities in your area. VBOCs can also help you navigate SBA’s extensive resource partner network and refer you to a community partner, lender, or SBA program.
Transition Assistance Programs
VBOCs work closely with SBA district offices and Transition Service Managers at military installations to conduct Boots to Business classes for service members and military spouses. VBOCs also help conduct B2B Reboot classes off installations for veterans of all eras, National Guard and Reserve members, and military spouses.
Pre-Business Plan Workshops
VBOCs conduct entrepreneurial development workshops dealing specifically with the major issues of self-employment. An important segment of these workshops covers the usage of the Internet as a tool for developing and expanding businesses. Each client is afforded the opportunity to work directly with a business counselor.
VBOCs assist clients in assessing their entrepreneurial needs and requirements.
Business Plan Preparation
VBOCs assist clients in developing and maintaining a five-year business plan. The business plan includes such elements as the legal form of the business, equipment requirements and cost, organizational structure, a strategic plan, market analysis, and a financial plan. Financial plans include financial projections, budget projections, and funding requirements.
Comprehensive Feasibility Analysis
VBOCs provide assistance in identifying and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the business plan to increase the probability of success. The results of the analysis are used to revise the strategic planning portion of the business plan.
Entrepreneurial Training and Counseling
VBOCs, working with other SBA resource partners, target entrepreneurial training projects and counseling sessions tailored specifically to address the needs and concerns of the veteran entrepreneur community, including service-disabled veterans, women veterans, and veterans interested in procurement.
VBOCs conduct, as appropriate, on-site visits with clients to ensure adherence to their business plans. Additionally, VBOCs review monthly financial statements to determine whether a revision of the business plan is warranted or that desired results are being attained.
Other Business Developmental Related Services
VBOCs also provide assistance and training in such areas as international trade, franchising, internet marketing, accounting, and more.
To learn more about SBA's resources for veterans, visit sba.gov/veterans.
Find your nearest VBOC
Find your local Veterans Business Outreach Center
Enter your ZIP Code above to find a VBOC in your area, or look up your state by region below.
New England Region
- Old Dominion University Veterans Business Outreach Center
- University of Maryland Veterans Business Outreach Center
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at Gulf Coast State College
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at Fayetteville State University
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at Pathway Lending
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at Mississippi State University
- VECTR Center (Veterans Education Career Transition Resource Center – CGTC)
- South Carolina Veterans Business Outreach Center
Great Lakes Region
- VetBiz Central, Inc.
- Wisconsin Women’s Business Initiative Corporation (WWBIC)
South Central Region
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- Veterans Business Outreach Center at University of Texas Arlington College of Business
- New Mexico Veterans Business Outreach Center
Great Plains Region
- Nebraska Veterans Business Outreach Center
Rocky Mountain Region
- Big Sky Economic Development Authority
- VBOC of the Dakotas
- Colorado Veterans Business Outreach Center
- NorCal Veterans Business Outreach Center
- SoCal Veterans Business Outreach Center
- Arizona Veterans Business Outreach Center - A New Leaf, Inc. AWEEc
- Veterans Business Outreach Center of the Pacific
- Los Angeles Regional Veterans Business Outreach Center
- Nevada Veterans Business Outreach Center
Pacific Northwest Region
- Business Impact NW
- Alaska Veterans Business Outreach Center