Ms. Barbara Carson joined the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), in Washington, D.C, in June 2013. She is the Acting Associate Administrator for the Office of Veterans Business Development...
Operation Boots to Business: From Service to Startup
Boots to Business is an entrepreneurial education initiative offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) as an elective track within the Department of Defense’s revised Training Assistance Program called Transition Goals, Plans, Success (Transition GPS).
The curriculum provides valuable assistance to transitioning service members exploring self-employment opportunities by leading them through the key steps for evaluating business concepts and the foundational knowledge required for developing a business plan. Participants are also introduced to SBA resources available to help access startup capital and additional technical assistance.
The three-step training program includes:
- The Entrepreneurship Track Overview – a 10-minute introductory video shown during the mandatory five-day Transition GPS course
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship – a two-day classroom course offered as one of the three Transition GPS elective tracks
- Foundations of Entrepreneurship – an eight-week, instructor-led online course that offers in-depth instruction on the elements of a business plan and tips and techniques for starting a business
Boots to Business Resources
- About Boots to Business
- About Boots to Business: Reboot
- Register for the 8-Week Foundations of Entrepreneurship Online Course
- Schedule of 8-Week Online Sessions and 2-Day Workshops
- Boots to Business Brochure
- Boots to Business Fact sheet
- Boots to Business Q&A
- Boots to Business Program Site
- Boots to Business Success Stories
- Profile of Veteran Business Owners
- Additional Boots to Business Resources
- Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program
Boots to Business is delivered in partnership with SBA’s Resource Partners, SCORE Mentors, Small Business Development Centers, Women’s Business Centers, and Veterans Business Outreach Centers and the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University. It is available free of participating installations to service members and their dependents transitioning or retiring from the U.S. military.
For more SBA resources for veterans, visit www.sba.gov/vets.