SBA’s Business Guide lists the requirements needed to start, grow, and expand your business. Since laws and taxes vary by state, here’s what you need to do before starting your business in our area.
Business name and registration
Register your business name with the county clerk where your business is located. If you are a corporation, you will also need to register with the Secretary of State.
Business licensing and zoning
Licenses are typically administered by a variety of state and local departments. It is important to consider zoning regulations when choosing a site for your business. Contact the local business license office where you plan to locate your business. You may not be permitted to conduct business out of your home or engage in industrial activity in a retail district.
IRS California Taxpayer Assistance Center
450 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94102
Health and safety
California Department of Labor
1515 Clay St., Suite 1302
Oakland, CA 94612
SBA lending in our area
Loan programsLearn more about SBA's 7(a) loans, 504 loans, and microloans that you can use for your business.
Local lendersDownload a list of participating lenders in our area.
Lender MatchDescribe your business needs and get matched with an SBA-backed lender in your area.
Lending activity reportsView 7(a) and 504 lending activity reports from our district.
Additional local resources
- California Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)
- Doing Business in Alameda County
- Doing Business in Contra Costa County
- Doing Business in Del Norte County
- Doing Business in Humboldt County
- Doing Business in Lake County
- Doing Business in Marin County
- Doing Business in Mendocino County
- Doing Business in Napa County
- Doing Business in City and County of San Francisco
- Doing Business in County of San Mateo
- Doing Business in County of Santa Clara
- Doing Business in Santa Cruz County Home
- Doing Business in Solano County
- Doing Business in County Of Sonoma
Download our guide to SBA resources
Learn about the opportunities available for small businesses nationwide.