You are here
File a Privacy Complaint
We take your privacy seriously, and have created a process by which you can formally file a complaint with our Chief Privacy Officer.
Privacy complaints we can help with
We accept written complaints about:
- How the SBA collects or uses personal information;
- How, when, and with whom the SBA shares personal information;
- The type(s) and/or amount of personal information the SBA collects; and
- Any other concern(s) you may have about how the SBA handles personal information and/or its impact(s) on personal privacy.
Complaints about the privacy of a business entity, a corporation, or any entity other than a person are not covered by our privacy complaint procedures.
Please keep in mind that Privacy Act requests for access, amendment, or correction are not privacy complaints – filing a complaint does not negate or replace your right to seek judicial relief under the Privacy Act or other federal laws for violations of individual privacy rights.
Submit a privacy complaint
To submit a complaint, you can write a letter that includes:
- Your name
- A summary of your complaint or a written description of the specific circumstances
- A summary of other steps taken, if any, by you or the SBA to resolve this complaint
- A preferred method of contact about your complaint – a mailing address, telephone number, email address or fax number
Send us the letter by email (Privacyofficer@sba.gov) or regular mail:
Small Business Administration
Attention: Privacy Officer
409 3rd St SW 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20416
- We will send you an acknowledgement letter within 5 business days of our receipt of your complaint.
- We will review and categorize the complaint as: Process and procedural, redress, operational or referral (we will refer it to the right office or federal agency if we’re not the right ones to address the issue).
- The Chief Privacy Officer will recommend any necessary actions in response to the complaint. We’ll let you know once your complaint is closed and, in general, include what, if any, action we’re taking in response to the complaint.
- Our goal is to review and close complaints within 20 business days. For complaints that we’ll need more than the normal time to close, we’ll contact you to give a status update.