Managing a Business

Blogs.Managing a Business


Importing Goods into the U.S. – An Introductory Guide for Small Business Owners

Comment Count:

Comments welcome on this page. See Rules of Conduct.

Importing Goods into the U.S. – An Introductory Guide for Small Business Owners

By Caron_Beesley, Contributor
Published: July 3, 2012 Updated: August 4, 2016

Whether you’re looking to diversify your product line or leverage cheaper-made merchandise, selling imported goods in the U.S. can be an important ingredient in small business success.

Interestingly enough, importing doesn’t always necessarily cannibalize the economy here at home. Research from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (cited in this USA Today article) suggests that for every dollar spent on a Chinese-made item, 55 cents goes to U.S. businesses for services such as marketing and sales. So Americans are getting more than just cheap prices and unique products from overseas markets.

Many small businesses also support high-demand imported products that can’t be found or manufactured here: artisan crafts, furniture, shoes and clothing, and food and beverage products. These represent a lucrative market with margins that can reach up to 700 percent.

If you are interested in importing and selling overseas goods to the U.S. market – whether or not you’re actually based in the U.S. – you’ll need to do your research regarding both the country of export and the country of import (the United States).

Here are some business and regulatory tips to guide you through the process of selling imported goods in the U.S.

Review Import Rejection Laws and Trade Barriers

First, be sure to check U.S. trade barriers and local in-country laws to be certain you can actually export your chosen goods out of the country of origin into the U.S.

While the U.S. is very import-friendly, it does have safety and quality controls that are more stringent than other countries. Likewise, foreign nations sometimes restrict or ban the export of religious ornaments, rare or protected goods, animal by-products (such as furs and ivory), as well as pirated designer goods. There are several guides and links to information about import trade on’s Importing Goods page.

If you want to import or sell agricultural products into the U.S., the Food Safety and Inspection Service provides a checklist and other information to help you comply with laws that govern import of meat, poultry and egg products.

Build Relationships and Network on the Ground in the Export Country

As with all wholesale procurement, you will want to meet and greet the producer or distributor of the product(s) you will be selling. Try to establish whether the company you’re dealing with has export experience. Ask for references. SBA’s Doing Business Abroad guide can help you plan your trip.

Hire a Customs Broker

A licensed customs broker can help you navigate laws and regulations that apply to the transactions your planning, including licenses, calculation of taxes, duty fees, etc. A customs broker prepares all the documentation needed to import goods, just as a freight forwarder does for exporters. Customs brokers also facilitate communication between the importer and the government. Licensed brokers must have expertise in the entry procedures, admissibility requirements, classification, valuation, and the rates of duty, applicable taxes and fees for imported merchandise. The customs broker charges the importer a fee for this advice.

You can search for certified customs brokers at the National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association of America. For international brokers visit the International Federation of Customs Brokers Associations.

Check License or Permit Requirements for Importing Certain Goods

Many imported and exported products are regulated by federal agencies and are listed in SBA’s Exporting/Importing Specific Goods page. If you import or export any of the products listed, you may need to obtain specific licenses and permits or complete additional paperwork. The page also provides information on how to get the appropriate licenses and permits. A customs broker can also help with this aspect of importing goods.

Get Assistance and Training

The federal government provides advice and seminars to small businesses interested in importing.


About the Author:

Caron Beesley


Caron Beesley is a small business owner, a writer, and marketing communications consultant. Caron works with the team to promote essential government resources that help entrepreneurs and small business owners start-up, grow and succeed. Follow Caron on Twitter: @caronbeesley


Hi Carol, I am a US permanent resident interested in importing and selling a type of waffle exclusively made in my hometown in Italy. None of the ingredients is restricted according to the lists provided in the hyperlinks above. How can I become the sole distributor in California?
Hi Caron, I plan to start a small restaurant in the US and would like to import a specific frozen seafood (fishball) products from the Philippines to the US. Please help, any information would be great. Thanks in advance!
Hi Caron,I am currently in the process of starting a electric bicycle company in the the USA and I have order product from China to import can you tell me my best options for getting the product received though customs? I need to know what import taxes and fees I will be responsible for and what type of agent should I be working with to get product through customs. Thanks Mark
Hello Caron, I'm going to start my own business in LA soon. I want to open online store and sell children clothing made in Poland. I'm from Poland and really want to promote good polish stuff here in the State. My question is, what type of business should I set up ? I think that important information is that I will have a business partner. What do you recommend ? I consider LLP. What do you think ? Also, do I need any license to import children clothing ? Thank you !!!
Hi Caron,I am fully determined to start my own small business,I am planning to import lentils & jaggery(food products) from India and distribute it here(CA State) in Indian grocery stores. I have zero knowledge about getting license etc,please guide me to start a small business step by step,truly appreciate your help. Thanks
Hi Caron.......didn't catch the misspelt word....tolls should be tools.
I own a small wholesale/retail irrigation company. I have found a manufacturer in Spain that makes tolls that I would like to sell in my store. How do I go about getting the products here?
Hi Caron, I am planning to start small business. I want import the clothes from India and sell them in Ebay store in USA. Please advise me the steps involved to start a business here. I do not have much background knowledge about starting a company. Thanks
hy caron, i am thinking to import fresh mango (hts-08045020)and supply to the retailor. so what kind of license do i need. i have another product food namkeen (hts no-21069099)so pls send me what kind of license do i need.thanks
hello carol,i am thinking to import handucraft stuff from india , and supply to the retailer. so what kind of license do i need and how the duty stuff works, thank you


Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to leave comments. If you already have an account, Log In to leave your comment.

New users, Register for a new account and join the conversation today!