Have you been affected by a disaster?APPLY FOR DISASTER LOAN
You are here
8(a) Requirements Overview
Generally, to be approved into the 8(a) Business Development program and become certified the business must meet these eligibility requirements:
- The business must be majority-owned (51 percent or more) by an individual(s).
- The individual(s) must be an American citizen, by birth or naturalization.
- The business must be majority-owned (51 percent or more) and controlled/managed by socially and economically disadvantaged individual(s).
- The individual(s) controlling and managing the firm on a full-time basis must meet the SBA requirement for disadvantage, by proving both social disadvantage and economic disadvantage.
- The business must be a small business.
- The business must demonstrate potential for success.
- The principals must show good character.
- Separate eligibility requirements exist for a business that is owned by American Indians, Native Alaskans, Native Hawaiians or Certified Development Companies.
- For general questions about the 8(a) Business Development program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For help with SBA's General Login System (GLS), contact GLS@sba.gov
- For help the System for Award Management (SAM), which replaced the Central Contractor Registration (CCR), please go to sam.gov or fsd.gov
- For help with the 8(a) electronic application, please contact BDMIS@sba.gov
- For help with 8(a) regulations and requirements, please contact 8aBD@sba.gov