SBA’s Business Guide lists the requirements needed to start, grow, and expand your business. Since laws and taxes vary by state, here’s what you need to do before starting your business in our area.
Business name and registration
Register your business name with the county clerk where your business is located. If you are a corporation, you will also need to register with the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Business licensing and zoning
Licenses are typically administered by a variety of state and local departments. It is important to consider zoning regulations when choosing a site for your business. Contact the local business license office where you plan to locate your business.
Massachusetts Taxpayer Assistance Centers
15 New Sudbury St.
Boston, MA 02203
Massachusetts Department of Revenue
100 Cambridge St.
Boston, MA 02114
Health and safety
Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development (EOLWD)
One Ashburton Place, Suite 2112
Boston, MA 02108
OSHA Office Area
138 River Rd., Suite 102
Andover, MA 01810
SBA lending in our area
Loan programsLearn more about SBA's 7(a) loans, 504 loans, and microloans that you can use for your business.
Local lendersDownload a list of participating lenders in our area.
Lender MatchDescribe your business needs and get matched with an SBA-backed lender in your area.
Lending activity reportsView 7(a) and 504 lending activity reports from our district.
Additional local resources
- Business Resources at Mass.gov
- Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General
- Massachusetts State Legislature
- Massachusetts Secretary of State - Corporations Division
- Starting a business in Boston
- Starting a business in Worcester
- Starting a business in Springfield
- Massachusetts Bar Association: Lawyer Referral Service
- Massachusetts Society of CPAs - Find a CPA
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Boston Interactive Media Association
- Possible Zone
- Commonwealth Corporation
- Boston Public Library
- Latino Economic Development Corp
- Black Economic Council of MA
- Berkshire Black Economic Council
- Urban League of Eastern Massachusetts (ULEM)
- Metro South Chamber of Commerce
- Better Business Bureau in Eastern MA, ME, RI & VT
- Better Business Bureau in Worcester
- Massachusetts Manufacturing Extension Partnership
Download our guide to SBA resources
Learn about the opportunities available for small businesses nationwide.