Doing business in the Michigan District

Business requirements

SBA’s Business Guide lists the requirements needed to start, grow, and expand your business. Since laws and taxes vary by state, here’s what you need to do before starting your business in our area.

Business name and registration

Register your business name with the county clerk where your business is located. If you are a corporation, you will also need to register with the Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

Business licensing and zoning

Licenses are typically administered by a variety of state and local departments. It is important to consider zoning regulations when choosing a site for your business. Contact the local business license office where you plan to locate your business.


Michigan Taxpayer Assistance Centers
500 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
Phone: 313-628-3722

Michigan Department of Treasury
430 W. Allegan St.
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-636-4486

Health and safety

Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
105 W. Allegan St.
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone: 517-241-6712

OSHA Michigan Area Office
530 W. Allegan St., P.O. Box 30643
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-284-7777

State small business profiles

Need information on the local business landscape? SBA's Office of Advocacy has the latest demographic and statistics on local small business economic activity.

Icon of a handshake

Local assistance

Need help? Get free business counseling in your area.

SBA lending in our area

  • Loan programs

    Loan programs icon
    Learn more about SBA's 7(a) loans, 504 loans, and microloans that you can use for your business.
  • Lender Match

    Lender Match icon
    Describe your business needs and get matched with an SBA-backed lender in your area.
  • Lending activity reports

    Lending activity reports icon
    View 7(a) and 504 lending activity reports from our district.

Additional local resources

Download our guide to SBA resources

Learn about the opportunities available for small businesses nationwide.

Last updated March 22, 2024