Managing a Business

Blogs.Managing a Business


How to Find the Right License and Permit for Your New Business

Comment Count:

Comments welcome on this page. See Rules of Conduct.

How to Find the Right License and Permit for Your New Business

By Caron_Beesley, Contributor
Published: February 1, 2012 Updated: September 20, 2016

Starting a business? Confused about whether you need a business license or permit?

Virtually every business needs some form of license or permit to operate legally. However, knowing which one you need, however, can be a little tricky. It depends on the type of business you are operating, where it’s located, and what government rules apply.

The problem is that many businesses overlook this basic requirement of starting a business often because they simply aren’t aware of what the law requires. This can lead to costly penalties, tax problems, and even the closure of your operation. The good news is that getting the right license or permit isn’t difficult and doesn’t cost much.

Here’s a quick overview of the process of obtaining a license or permit for your new business.

Why Do Businesses Need Licenses and Permits?

One of the biggest reasons business owners need licenses is so the government can track revenue for taxation purposes. However, licenses and permits are also used to protect the public.

For example, if you are engaged in a federally regulated industry such as aviation, alcohol, or agriculture, you will need to obtain specific federal licenses or permits.

Other licenses, known as professional licenses, signify the level of expertise that an employee or business owner has - dentists, hair dressers, veterinarians, and doctors must have professional licenses.

If you are selling goods or services, you may need to get a sales tax license or permit.

Even home-based businesses and sole proprietors typically need a permit from their local government to operate legally.

Finding the Right Licenses and Permits

Because every business has different licensing and permit requirements depending on its location and industry, it can be intimidating to know where to start.

To help business owners navigate the process, offers links to state-specific license and permit information.  

What About Tax Permits?

While the IRS doesn't license your business, it does require that certain businesses register to receive a federal tax identification number (this link helps you determine whether your need an EIN or not). You’ll also need to register with state and local government agencies for applicable tax permits such as a sales tax license, income tax withholding, and unemployment insurance tax. The Permit Me tool can point you to your local state revenue office.

What about Home-Based Businesses?

Home-based businesses are often the most susceptible to permit violations. Why? Often, sole proprietors, consultants, or other home businesses aren’t aware they need a permit to operate out of their own home.

So what do you need? At a basic level, your state or local government may require that you hold a Home Occupation Permit. If you are a consultant or freelancer, this may be all you need. However, if you operate a business that involves or directly impacts the public, such as an in-home childcare facility or at-home food production business, you will need an additional permit or license according to your type of business. 

Read Licensing Requirements for Home Based Businesses for more guidance on what you need to legally operate out of your home.

If you live in a community managed by a home owner's association (HOA), it's a good idea to check whether it can restrict your business activities. 

Managing and Maintaining Your License or Permit

Once you have your license or permit, you’ll need to manage and maintain it. has the following advice:

  • Keep track of renewal dates.
  • Maintain a copy of all licensing applications and forms in your business records.
  • Display your licenses or permits correctly. Most states and localities require businesses to prominently display their business licenses so customers can see them.
  • If you expand your business, whether it’s expanding your building or launching a new product or service, you may need additional business licenses.

Additional Resources

About the Author:

Caron Beesley


Caron Beesley is a small business owner, a writer, and marketing communications consultant. Caron works with the team to promote essential government resources that help entrepreneurs and small business owners start-up, grow and succeed. Follow Caron on Twitter: @caronbeesley


I want to set up a website to help certain professionals obtain licensure. I will receive their documents and charge a fee to review and submit their documents to the appropriate Board.Do I need a sales tax license or any other kind of license to do this at home?
Do you need a special license if you are doing business through a subsidiary? See Universal Direct for more details.
Can you please help? Every link I click to get a business license for lawn maintenance takes me to a website asking me to pick a category. There is no category for lawn maintenance. Any suggestions. Will be a Florida business. Thanks, Kathy
Hi Im Shimon Dongre from India and I want to know if i want to hold Virtual Job Fiar in USA as a recruitment company what license would i need. Is it possible to register a Manpower consultancy in USA but yet operate virtually form India
my email is
APPLY FOR A FAST LOAN TODAY@MUTUAL LOAN COMPANY....Hello everyone! Do you seek funds to pay off credits or set up a business? Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where turn to? Email MUTUAL LOAN COMPANY where you can get easy and reliable loan for your self and family i got a business loan of $145,000.00 from this same company, Everyone in the world can apply for this loan. If you can't send an email send SMS. MUTUAL LOAN COMPANY will give you the best service at 3% interest rate. Email Address: Phone Number: +1(315) 309-5179 (SMS ALLOWED)
I am seeking pre-start-up in Business Development or Management Consulting. I am living in Texas. What do I need? I know how to file DBA. I just need to know if I need permits or licenses to do business in management consulting and business development. By the way, I am deaf. I speak American Sign Language.
Hello, Do you seek addition fund to support your business as low as 3% interest rate? Email: Phone Number: +1(315) 309-5179 (SMS ALLOWED) for more details.
I had a home canning business (LLC)in NC. Recently moved to Texas. Would like to resume the business using a co-packer. What are the steps to start the process?


Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to leave comments. If you already have an account, Log In to leave your comment.

New users, Register for a new account and join the conversation today!